(IB) Mandarin Teacher
Term Of Employment: 2 years
Band: Teaching Faculty
Reporting Accountability: Principal
Scope of Responsibility:
As an IB MYP Mandarin teacher, the primary role is to maximize student learning and development by planning, preparing, and teaching the curriculum to meet students' individual learning needs and achieve specific student outcomes. Teachers teach a range of student abilities and classes and are accountable for effectively delivering their curriculum. The MYP Mandarin teacher engages in critical reflection to improve their knowledge and skills to engage students and develop well-balanced, innovative individuals.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Communicate learning objectives and assessment criteria to students clearly, logically, and sequentially.
· Effectively meet the learning needs of ALL students, including EAL and those with special learning needs.
· Skillfully use verbal and non-verbal communication.
· Create and utilize appropriate materials for instructional purposes.
· Assess and adjust the classroom setting to provide for various learning styles.
· Draw from various instructional resources to enhance lessons and ensure that a textbook-based approach does not drive lesson instruction and content.
· Ensure all unit planners, subject group overviews, and ATL charts are completed before the unit starts, and further develop them as the unit progresses.
· Ensure all components of the MYP, like the Concepts, ATL Skills, Global Contexts, and Inquiry-based meaningful teaching strategies, are implemented in the classroom.
· Ensure that the minimum requirement of all strands of the criteria prescribed in the Language and Literature Guide is assessed twice in a term year.
· Inspiring the best efforts and work of students by continually monitoring their work
· Set high expectation standards that are appropriate for each student's ability level.
· Return submitted work for assessment promptly.
· Provide individual and group formative feedback on all assignments, giving the students suggestions for improving learning and encouraging further learning.
· Motivate students to achieve beyond previous performance levels.
· Plan and implement classroom strategies that encourage student self-discipline, reinforce appropriate behavior, and manage disruptive behavior constructively
· Encourage and model intercultural awareness and understanding.
· Display competence and confidence in using Information & Communications Technology.
· Demonstrate commitment to and promote child safeguarding practices and follow child protection.
· Demonstrate commitment to providing high standards of pastoral care for all students.
· Manage students' behavior constructively and respectfully, promoting self-control and independence.
· Be alert and responsive to students' social and emotional needs and support their development through teaching practice and out-of-class supervision, liaising with specialist colleagues where necessary, and respecting the school policy.
· Follow the Code of Conduct in the Child Protection Policy.
· Participate in appropriate IB-recognized professional development, liaising with the MYP Coordinator.
· Set professional learning goals and participate in teachers' evaluation procedures.
· Participate in subject-specific and whole-school collaborative meetings and reflection for professional development, authorization, and accreditations.
· Bachelor's degree or above with at least two years of teaching experience.
· Certification/licensure in teaching Chinese.
· Experience teaching Chinese to students where Chinese is an additional language for them.
· Experience teaching Chinese to students where Chinese is their native language.
· Experience working with expatriate students.
· Good English language skills (oral and written).
· A strong team player with good interpersonal skills.
· A motivated person who shows initiative, reliability, leadership, and a strong professional work ethic.
· Teaching experience with Western pedagogy in accredited schools offering inquiry-based programs will be considered vital.
· Additional Desired Qualifications:
· Previous experience teaching in an international school
· Previous experience teaching IB Chinese
Sias IS is committed to the protection of all children and young people from harm. Belief in and alignment with Sias IS beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.