Upper Primary (Grades 3-5)
Term Of Employment: 2 years
Band: Teaching Faculty
Reporting Accountability: Principal
Scope of Responsibility
In the Primary Years Programme, action is critical to our standards-based curriculum. The PY Teacher is to provide opportunities that encourage to provide opportunities for students to learn and apply creative, positive change in their lives and the world around them. The PY teacher is responsible for creating an inquiry-based, dynamic, engaging, student-led environment for teaching and learning. With teachers as the facilitators, students are provided opportunities to practice and demonstrate thoughtful and ethical behavior and skills grounded in the International Baccalaureate philosophy and objectives.
The Sias IS Teacher manifests excellence in education by ensuring that each student under their responsibility demonstrates progression in:
· Approaching their learning creatively, critically, and reflectively.
· Listening, reading, writing, and speaking effectively.
· Developing interpersonal effectiveness in communicating and collaborating.
· Using the inquiry cycle approach to seek answers and solve problems.
· Developing future-oriented skills that balance traditional and innovative learning.
· Understanding and respecting the cultures and achievements of the East and West.
· Taking responsibility for contributing to a sustainable and harmonious world.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Demonstrate sincere care for the personal and academic welfare of Sias IS students.
· Encourage and model intercultural awareness and understanding with all members of the Sias IS community.
· Participate in collaborative planning and reflection to effectively implement the curriculum within the subject group and with other teachers.
· Reflect upon teaching practices to provide the best possible opportunities to explore the transdisciplinary units of inquiry across the curriculum and beyond.
· Provide a stimulating learning atmosphere within the classroom.
· Model for students the character attributes of the IB Learner Profile.
· Use excellent written and oral English skills.
· Monitor, assist, and assess students by preparing assessments using the IB assessment strategies.
· Provide a safe, caring learning environment for ALL students.
· Display competence in the use of information and communication technology and school-based software and hardware to enhance learning
· Maintain records of learning, performance, attendance, and social acclimation, reporting on all elements of student development of parent-teacher conferences, both scheduled and as needed.
· Promote good rapport with students, staff, parents, and the community.
· Use Sias IS’ performance appraisal system to improve student learning by focusing on one’s professional development.
· Displaying competence in the use of information and communications technology and school-based software and hardware
· Being prepared to undertake any other duties requested by the principal.
· Follow the Code of Conduct in the Child Protection Policy.
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree appropriate to the grade level and subject area.
· Recognized education degree or equivalent from an accredited university or equivalent teacher training institute.
· Teaching license (certificate) issued by an accredited governing body for teachers, or an equivalent qualification as determined by the principal.
· Teaching experience in accredited schools offering inquiry-based programs will be considered a strong asset.
Sias IS is committed to the protection of all children and young people from harm. Belief in and alignment with Sias IS beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.