Term of Employment: 2 years
Reporting Accountability: Curriculum Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities
Under general supervision, plans, organizes and presents instruction and instructional environments which help students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their educational and social development.
- Provides learning experiences and teaches Visual Arts Standards study prescribed by the District approved curriculum.
- Instructs pupils in art, such as painting, sketching, designing, and sculpturing: Prepares lesson plans and establishes course goals.
- Provides individual and group instruction designed to meet individual needs and motivate students.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student control required to achieve effective participation in all activities.
- Selects books and art supplies for courses. Demonstrates method and procedure to pupils.
- Observes and evaluates pupils' work to determine student progress or to make suggestions for improvement.
- Provides appropriate instruction and activities for students to meet school policies, goals, and objectives.
- Accompanies students on field trips to museums or art galleries.
- May specialize in teaching one or more areas of art, such as illustration, art history, or commercial art.
- May direct planning and supervision of student contests and arranging of art exhibits.
- Communicates with parents through a variety of means.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems.
- Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive community displays such as bulletin boards, interest centers, art gallery, art walk, etc..
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school and/or professional growth activities and courses.
- Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrator to develop the method by which s/he will be evaluated in conformance with school guidelines.
- Selects and requisitions instructional materials; maintains inventory records.
- Cooperates in school-wide supervision of students during out-of-classroom activities.
- Participates in faculty and/or district committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree and above is preferred.
- Professional experience on stage is preferred.
- Strong desire to teach in an urban public school or charter school setting
- Willingness to collaborate and teach under Sias IS instructions guidance
- Valid license in the grade levels and areas assigned.
- IB experience preferred
- Belief in and alignment with Sias IS beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.